Are you dreaming of more tools at Kwartzlab? We love more tools! But before you get too excited, there's some things that need to be sorted out before any new major tool is brought into the lab safely and in such a way that it doesn't just end up collecting a layer of dust on top of it and tripping people in a hallway somewhere.
Who is paying for the tool itself? The most common ways for a new tool to be added is through a donation to the lab or through by organizing a Group Buy with other members. In some cases if there's enough need and interest in the tool, the Board of Directors may be able to fund or partially fund the purchase of the tool if the budget allows
Where will the tool be stored when not in use? Make sure the team or team leader of the room agrees, or if there's no clear team/leader of the space, approach the board of directors.
- Will anything need to be built or bought to store this new tool? (cart, shelves, bins, etc)
- Who will be paying for the thing that needs to be bought to store this, or
- Who will be building the thing that is needed to store this and paying for the materials needed?
Where will the tool be used? Make sure the team or team leader of the room agrees, or if there's no clear team/leader of the space, approach the board of directors.
- Will anything need to be built or bought for the space the tool would be used? (carts, table, etc)
- Who will be paying for the thing that needs to be bought for the space the tool would use? or
- Who will be building the thing that is needed for the space to use this tool and paying for the materials needed?
What are the facilities requirements for this tool?
- Does this tool require special ventilation?
- Does the tool require special plumbing?
- What are the power requirements of the tool?
What are the PPE requirements for this tool?
- Who will be providing/paying for the PPE?
Does this tool replace a current tool at the lab?
- If yes, what is the plan to decommission or dispose of the existing tool?
Does/should this Tool Require Training to use?
- If yes, who will create and/or update the training? (online if applicable, in-person 'script')
- If yes, who will perform the training? Remember that new trainers must be approved by the board for insurance purposes
- If yes, does this tool need a Key Fob lockout? If so, who will be installing it?
- If no training required, should the tool be limited to just Members Only?
- If no training required, are there knowledgeable members who can answer questions about the tool?
What consumables are required for this tool?
- Who will pay for the consumables?
- How will the consumables be procured/brought to the lab?
- Who will be responsible for making sure the lab-provided consumables will be consistently available?
Is the tool in working order?
- Does it have all the current recommended safety devices/mechanisms?
- If it's not in working order, what is the plan to get it working again?
- If the tool breaks, who will be able to repair it? What are the normal costs associated with expected repairs?
Are the people involved in this tool (trainers, maintainers, etc) available and agree?
- Are they committed to other major projects for the lab already?